Acupuncture can help with weight loss by regulating hormone production, improving the metabolism, optimizing digestion, reducing inflammation, suppressing the appetite, lessening water retention and optimizing other bodily functions that are related to obesity and weight loss.
Acupuncture needles are inserted into points in the body to help release endorphins which has a calming effect on a person. When needles are inserted over 2-3 sessions and endorphins are constantly released, there is noticeable drop in appetite and hunger, thereby affecting the weight of a person.
- Reduces appetite- Leptin and ghrelin are the hunger hormones in the body. Ghrelin tells the body it is hungry, while leptin tells the body it is full. Acupuncture can manipulate the levels of these hormones to reduce your appetite and curb your overeating and snacking habits.
- Improves digestion-When needles are inserted in the stomach and kidney points, it is possible to improve the functioning of the digestive system and even increase the amount of nutrients that are taken in by the body. By preventing slow digestion and improving gut health, you can relieve constipation, bloating and other gastrointestinal issues that may keep you sedentary or lead to fat deposition.
- Reduces inflammation-Acupuncture reduces inflammation or tension in the gut, muscles and other tissues of the body, can slow down the metabolism, put strain on the immune system, and even impact heart health and digestion. By relieving tension and regulating the immune response of the body, acupuncture for weight loss can lower your levels of oxidative stress and optimize your body for weight loss.
- Stops water retention- By stimulating the nerves of the kidney and endocrine system, it is possible to stop water retention in the body. This is a very quick way to lose some weight, and help to keep it off, by preventing your body from storing more water than it needs.
- Hormone production-If hormones levels are out of balance, many different bodily processes can be negatively affected, from digestion and cognition, to healing and immune system function. Acupuncture of the spleen and shenmen are highly effective in balancing hormone levels.
- Boosts metabolism-With needles stimulating the thyroid area, it can boost the functioning of your pituitary gland, one of the key areas of the body in relation to metabolism. This can thereby increase the rate of fat-burning, making not only your workouts, but also your daily activities, more effective in burning calories and losing weight.
- Improves mood- It is able to induce the release of endorphins in the body which are feel-good hormones that can quickly eliminate stress and anxiety. Many people overeat when they have high levels of stress hormones or are feeling overwhelmed. Acupuncture can help to eliminate those urges.
Side effects of acupuncture for weight loss, include:
- Worsening symptoms
- High emotions
- Muscle spasms
Acupuncture helps align the body with your weight-loss goals through its effects on the metabolism and hormones but it doesn’t replace the need to eat properly and exercise regularly. If you are in need of acupuncture then please contact Ultimate Health Clinic at (905) 251-0162.