Kinesiology Taping (Kinesio Taping, K-Taping) is a rehabilitative technique that is used to enable the body’s natural healing process called homeostasis. Kinesio Taping is a modality that enhances the function of many different tissues and physiological systems. You can treat neurologic, orthopedic, lymphatic, muscular and post surgical conditions with it. The tape is suitable for any stage of your treatment plan: acute, subacute, rehabilitative, chronic, post surgical or for injury prevention.
The Kinesio Taping Method is based on the basic foundation of: Restoring Space, Movement and Cooling. Space is created by lifting and separating the tissue layers of the body. Movement happens when the lymph and blood flow more freely in the expanded space. Cooling occurs as fluids trapped in the tissues are released and flow back into the system. The theory is that microscopic changes in cell environment change function.
Benefits of Kinesiology Taping:
- Relieves pain
- Reduces swelling and inflammation
- Accelerates recovery from contusions or bruising
- Enhances strength and muscle tone
- Allows athletes to remain active while injured
- Supports injured muscles without restricting range of motion
- Prevents and/or relieves muscle spasms and cramping
- Faster recovery of overused muscles
The tape is either 100% cotton and elastic fibers or a blend of cotton, polyester and elastic. The elasticity is 40-60% of its resting length (depending on the tapes width). The tape’s thickness and weight are similar to skin. K-Tape’s adhesive is 100% medical grade, acrylic, and heat-activated. There is no medicine in it and it is latex-free. It is safe to use and non-irritating for most skin types. You can wear the tape for 3-5 days. The Kinesio Tape is uniquely designed to not be restrictive, heavy on the skin, and allows full range of motion.
The K-Tape can be worn for an event, for a few hours or between clinical visits with continued therapeutic benefits. It is affective on its own, or it can be used with other methods of treatment.
When the practitioner applies the Kinesio Tape, they will follow the method: Assess, Apply, Reassess. They will assess all tissues that might be involved before determining what the proper application may be. They will then apply the tape and when they finish, the practitioner will then re-assess the patient.
The practitioner will educate the client about proper tape care and maintenance for multiple day wear and safe tape removal techniques every time they apply the tape.
The safe removal techniques are:
- The “Roll” Method
- Remove in direction of hair growth
- Lift edge of tape and stick tape to itself
- Roll the tape off using the hand to brush/pat skin gently to reduce discomfort
- The “Pressure” Method
- Pull edge of tape away from skin
- Place index finger on top of tape with deep pressure
- Continue to apply deep pressure as you remove tape
- The “Skin from Tape” Method
- Lift edge of tape
- Guide skin back from under the tape
- Repeat in small sections until tape is removed completely